CODE OF ETHICS
INTERIM ETHICAL CODE FOR INDIVIDUALS AND LOCAL GROUPS ASSOCIATED WITH MOMENTUM
Individuals and groups using the Momentum name and branding must operate according to the following principles at all times:
- As the successor to Jeremy Corbyn's Leadership Campaign, Momentum promotes the values that Jeremy popularised during the campaign, of fair, honest debate focused on policies, not personal attacks or harassment.
- Momentum is outward-facing. It seeks to reach out across the community and encourages the participation of people who may not have been involved in political activities before. Ensuring the safety and self-expression of everyone is a priority, especially of those who are often marginalised on the basis of their gender, sexuality, ethnicity, race, religion, class, disability and educational or economic status.
- Groups of individuals may form local Momentum Groups to share ideas, organise and participate in activities at their local level which demonstrate how 'Labour values' and collective effort can make a positive social and/or environmental impact. These groups must be democratic in their nature and be organised around a spirit of collaboration, inclusion and respect.
- As the successor to Jeremy Corbyn's Leadership Campaign, Momentum promotes the communication of progressive ideas for political change, such as: opposition to austerity, the promotion of equality and participatory democracy. These are the values for which Jeremy Corbyn was elected.
- Momentum is wholly committed to working for progressive political change through methods which are inclusive, participatory and non-violent.
- Momentum seeks to build a social movement in support of the aims of the Labour movement and a fairer and more decent society. Momentum is committed to supporting the Labour Party winning elections and entering government in 2020 and seeks positive and productive engagement with local Labour Party branches.
Individuals and/or groups who do not adhere to the above principles will not be considered to be part of, or associated with, Momentum. Please note that Momentum is its embryonic stage as a network organisation. Our Code of Conduct is likely to develop further along with the governance structures of our organisation.